Inconsistent Chapter Headers

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sean Godley

Inconsistent Chapter Headers

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi all,

A colleague and I are working on a manual together and there appear to be differences in chapter headings that are not resolved once they are updated and committed to SVN. Can someone please explain to me how to change these in the manual settings so that I can go into his version of the manual and update the headings?

I've attached a couple of screenshots of the differences I am talking about. I cannot get the upper section of chapters to be the same in every chapter.

Thanks in advance,

Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent Chapter Headers

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

If you have an icon like that in your heading it will have been put there manually in each topic. It's not something that will ever appear there automatically, because it's not controlled by styles. It would be something you have to insert. Also, the icon won't be used in the output in many cases: In PDF, for example, only the plain text from the topic header is transferred to PDF and then formatted there by the template. The same applies in eBooks (ePub and Kindle) and in WebHelp with some skins.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Thanks Tim - but which settings etc should I use to edit the header?

Cheers,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Sean Godley wrote:Thanks Tim - but which settings etc should I use to edit the header?
You edit the header in the header box above the main topic editor. Actually, looking at your screenshots again, I'm not sure that you even have a header at all. It looks as though you have the header turned off for the topic and your heading is just part of the body of the topic. If you click on the gear icon in the top left corner of the editor window you should be able to see whether the topic has a header or not. If you activate it, then you will see the header box.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.