Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Unread postby Dave Gehman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Is there an equivalent to CTRL-Y in Word, which applies to a new selection, the edit done to the previous selection? For example, in Word, after selecting a subhead text and giving it a Heading 2 style, you can select another subhead further down, hit CTRL-Y and the new selection will become the Heading 2 style.

(I have found by experimentation that I can assign a keyboard shortcut to a style [Styles > Edit Styles..., Shortcut input box] and that will work fine, but Word's more generic CTRL-Y is useful for handling in the short term, a number of different repeated editing needs. But that raises another question: if I attempt to assign an existing keyboard shortcut to this or that commonly-used style, is H+M smart enough to prevent me from wrecking the earlier shortcut?)
Dave Gehman

Re: Equivalent to Word's CTRL-Y (apply last edit)

Unread postby Martin Wynne » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Dave,

Have a look at the Format Painter function to apply the same manual formatting repeatedly. See: https://helpandmanual.com/help//index.h ... manual.htm > +Using the Fomat Painter tool

Martin.
Martin Wynne

Unread postby Dave Gehman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Martin, I'll look into Format Painter. Thanks!
Dave Gehman

Unread postby Dave Gehman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to the Format Painter? I don't see it among the choices in FIle > Program Options > Shortcuts.

(Asking because I'm the world's worst mouser - and would rather apply the Format Painter from the keyboard - with an additional plus of not having to again find the home keys once I've left the keyboard to [try to] manipulate the mouse...)
Dave Gehman

Unread postby Tim Green » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Dave Gehman wrote:Is there a way to assign a keyboard shortcut to the Format Painter? I don't see it among the choices in FIle > Program Options > Shortcuts.

Sorry, but no. I suppose it would be theoretically possible, but the rationale is that the Format Painter is a mouse mode... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Martin Wynne » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi Dave,

Don't forget you can always use the accelerator keys. For the Format Painter press ALT, W, F, P in order. Depending on your system settings, you may need to hold down ALT.

The same for any other function. They announce themselves on the ribbon when you press ALT.

Martin .
Martin Wynne

Unread postby Dave Gehman » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:54 am

Martin Wynne wrote:Hi Dave,

Don't forget you can always use the accelerator keys. For the Format Painter press ALT, W, F, P in order. Depending on your system settings, you may need to hold down ALT.

Martin .

Great minds, etc... I was playing with this as you were posting. As usual, your version is better than what I was playing with: Windows speech recognition. WSR is definitely not the way to go; simple keypresses (as you've outlined) looks like the best tactic.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave Gehman

Unread postby Rob Davis » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Just to barge into the thread, I did put in a request to the wish list a long time ago for an equivalent to Windows F4 ('do it again') - I wonder if that will ever pay off?
Rob Davis

Unread postby Dave Gehman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 am

Rob Davis wrote:Just to barge into the thread, I did put in a request to the wish list a long time ago for an equivalent to Windows F4 ('do it again') - I wonder if that will ever pay off?

Barging very welcome, especially since this just what I'd want, too. And I just learned the fact the F4 was 'do it again.' Time to revisit Windows keyboard shortcuts.
Dave Gehman

Return to Help & Manual 7 Forum