Table — move row up or down several rows

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

Table — move row up or down several rows

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Hi Tim,

if I want to move a row in a table up or down, I put the focus in any cell of that row and then apply Move and Sort → Move Row Down. If I want to move the same row one more row up or down, I first need to click in that row again, because the focus is lost altogether — any character keystrokes are ignored and go nowhere. If I highlight the entire row, after moving it up or down, the highlighting is gone and the focus is lost, too.

Is this the intended behavior?

I know that I can highlight more than one row and then move the "ensemble" up or down, but still … why is the focus lost?

And can I assign a keyboard shortcut to "Move Row Up/Down"?

I also found out that moving rows is not reflected in the Undo stack. If I try to undo the moving of a row, instead the last action previous to the table action is undone … is this the intended behavior?

Thank you,
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Table — move row up or down several rows

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rainer,

These are some limitations on moving table rows at the moment. This may all be improved in the next major version. If you need to move the contents of rows a further distance it is generally easier to do it with the following steps:
  1. First insert the number of empty rows that you need in the new location (otherwise you'll overwrite the content of the existing rows).
  2. Then select all the rows you want to copy and press CTRL+X to cut the contents to the clipboard.
  3. Click in the first cell in the new empty rows and press CTRL+V to paste in the content.
  4. Delete the now-empty rows where you cut the content
I do understand that this is a little clunky but it some cases it can be easier than selecting and moving and re-selecting and moving again multiple times. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rainer Oehry

Re: Table — move row up or down several rows

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Thank you, Tim, for your quick reply.

Yes, there are ways around the problem, so it is not a big issue.

May I nevertheless suggest the addition of keyboard shortcuts for this "Move Row" function in the next major version?

Thank you for considering.
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria