Publish PDF. Differences on different computers

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Svetlana Akulova

Publish PDF. Differences on different computers

Unread post by Svetlana Akulova »

Hello!
It's me and PDF again. :D
I have a new problem with publishing PDF files. I hope that I will be able to explain correctly.
When publishing an hmxz file in PDF format on different computers, we get different documents on the output. For example, I set up the styles and indents in the hmxz file, so that in the resulting PDF document, it was a certain design. I planted the template. I compiled the file, and it turned out the way I needed it.
But when the same file was compiled with the same template on another computer, we saw the differences. We saw differences in fonts as if. But we have the same fonts installed. And Adobe Reader is the same.
I really want to understand what else could be the reason.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Publish PDF. Differences on different computers

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Svetlana,

This is because of the way PDF is generated using a reference printer driver, set in View > Program Options > PDF. You will get particularly different results if you are using the screen device as the reference driver and the computers have very different resolutions. Different drivers will also produce different results, sometimes very different. In addition to this the settings of the printer driver used on the individual computers will also have an effect, particularly the resolution and paper size.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Tim Green wrote:set in View > Program Options > PDF
Thank you, Tim!
We seem to have found the cause. I had item number 3 from this mode set up on my computer, Adobe PDF printer was selected, and "use screen as reference device" was selected on another computer. Now we have made the common settings and it helped. :D
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Svetlana Akulova wrote:Adobe PDF printer was selected,
Although it seems counter-intuitive, it's best NOT to use PDF output printer drivers as the reference PDF output driver. Normal printer drivers will produce the best results, and ideally they should be standard drivers from the Windows list and not customized drivers from printer manufacturers, which will sometimes produce strange results. On current Windows it's generally best to just select the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver, which is always present and produces good results.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Svetlana Akulova

Tim Green wrote:On current Windows it's generally best to just select the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver, which is always present and produces good results.
Oh, Ok. I checked and everything works. Thank you again! :D