snippets NOT appearing in pdf output

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

simon harris

snippets NOT appearing in pdf output

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim,

Just lost a heap of information I was trying to write here because I got logged out and was not aware of it. Will select all and save to notepad in future as a precaution... :dunno:

Anyway, want to publish to multiple languages using a single repository and single PDF template. Repo contains snippets with bits of text in several languages, each set-up as conditional text. The snippets are referenced by the PDF template. The build conditions is set when the source H&M project [which is language-specific] is published. For example, open DE H&M project, publish and select build option "DE", which corresponds to condition for DE text in snippets contained in repo.

Problem is not all pieces of text are showing in PDF output. Some are working fine, some are invisible. EN and DE work fine. FR, IT, RU, ES, HU have one or more pieces of text invisible. Very strange. I have tried renaming the snippets and reinserting in PDF template, changing container size and position in template, tried selecting specific language in the repo before publishing. Nothing works :vconfused: . Please help!!
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: snippets NOT appearing in pdf output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

If you're inserting the snippets from the style repository in the template you will be referencing the snippet files directly, because PDF templates can't be linked to style repositories in the same way that projects can. What is probably happening here is that the Topics folder of the repository project isn't included in the project search path settings of the projects where the snippets are not appearing. Open each project, then look in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path and make sure that there is an entry for the Topics folder in the repository project. Then Help+Manual will be able to find the snippets when publishing.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
simon harris

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the topics are included directly in the pdf template. The search paths are actually all okay [identical], otherwise the project would not pick up any of the snippets in question. The custom builds are identical amongst all projects and the repo project. There does not appear to be any obvious logic behind why some snippets are being ignored and others not - all snippets involved are being sourced from the same location. Curious.
All the best,
Simon
simon harris

Hi Tim,

I am a f*%@#ng idiot :frustration: :oops: . Just checked the editor again and just noticed that a conditional text "END" thing was missing. This caused all conditional text after it to become invalidated. Yaay!! Yeehhaa!!
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Yes, as so often, the Devil is in the details. Don't feel bad about it. These things happen to all of us all the time. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.