Popup fading in issue

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VincentBevort

Popup fading in issue

Unread post by VincentBevort »

Hi,

I don't know where to put this issue but it happens for me in H&M 7

When I want to add or remove rows in a table I right click on a row.
Then the popup fades in sloooowly as do the following popups.

I tried several settings in Windows 10 and tried this behavior in other programs I use but I only see this in H&M after updating to the latest windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.1

I tried other applications but do not have this behaviour using them. It seems only H&M to be very slow in displaying the popups.

As said, I cannot find where to configure this in Windows nor in H&M.

Please help me out?
Senior Test Engineer & Technical Writer
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Popup fading in issue

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vincent,

When you say sloooow, what kind of time are you talking about, in seconds? I'm on the current build of Windows 10 version 1803 17134.345 and the context menus pop up with a very slight delay, I would guess about 200-300ms. So a massive slowdown, if there, is not due to Windows only. That brief delay is normal, because whenever you call a context menu Help+Manual must check all the available menu options and decide which ones can be displayed in the current context.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Hi Tim,

I never even noticed the delays you're talking about.
No, Now it is one second delay and realy notisable.

I am sure it was not an issue before the installation of Windows 10 but it is now.
previously I just could click, click ,clikc to add a row. Nor I have to click wait, click wait, click wait before the popup even appears
I know a new OS can have straing effects on applications.

I also posted this on out internal IT support if they can find a solution but if you have one let me know
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Vincent,

That's annoying. If this is happening after the Windows 10 update it looks as though it's something that is only affecting some specific configurations, because all of our machines are working fine. We would absolutely be on it if it was turning up for us, either on our own machines or in testing. This makes it difficult to locate.

Do you have any deeply-integrated third-party software running on your machine? The main potential culprit would be third-party anti-virus applications, which are increasingly causing many more problems than they solve, because they need to literally infect Windows right down into the lowest levels of the kernel to do their work. Other software that can have interaction side effects like this includes anything that changes the way Windows looks or behaves, like popular programs for styling Windows windows and dialogs and so on.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Hi Tim,

I will check my machine on your comments.
We use currently Sophos endpoint as virus protection.

BTW.
Windows itsef is a virus if you follow the definition that is expands itself by creating files and slowing donw a computer :D
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Vincent,

Update: It does seem to be a Windows 10 update issue. We have now been able to reproduce this as well on some machines, but we may have a fix. Please try this build of the soon-to-be-released 7.4:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/download/ ... p-v740.exe

Make sure that you have the "Visual effects are performance optimized" switch is ON in View > Program Options > General, and restart Help+Manual after changing it if you need to change it. In addition to optimizing visual effects this now completely switches off the fade effects in menu opening, which appears to circumvent the problem that the Windows update is causing. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
VincentBevort

Hi Timm,

Works like a dream.

Good work and thanks for the support :D
Flowbird group