WebHelp: which uploadable file(s) contains the version numbe

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

WebHelp: which uploadable file(s) contains the version numbe

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Scenario:
I failed to update the version number of a complete WebHelp help file before uploading the published HTML folder contents.
After updating the V number in Configuration > Common Properties > Title & Copyright, I'd like to upload just the files that affect the version number, rather than the entire HTML / images / js / etc. that makes up the WebHelp

Question:
Is there an easy road, a road that requires only the update of one or two files?

Or do I have to upload everything in the complete published HTML folder?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebHelp: which uploadable file(s) contains the version n

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

The version number set in Configuration > Common Properties > Title and Copyright isn't used anywhere at all in WebHelp automatically. It will only be used in the WebHelp output if you explicitly use one of the version variables yourself. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Tim Green wrote:Hi Dave,

The version number set in Configuration > Common Properties > Title and Copyright isn't used anywhere at all in WebHelp automatically. It will only be used in the WebHelp output if you explicitly use one of the version variables yourself. 8)
As I said, I did update the configuration number. Which WebHelp output files contains it, or do I need to upload ALL the files in the resulting HTML folder -- the folder that is created by Publish? As far as I can see, it appears only in the header and (a custom addition by me) in the help home page.
Tim Green
Site Admin

As I said, I did update the configuration number. Which WebHelp output files contains it, or do I need to upload ALL the files in the resulting HTML folder -- the folder that is created by Publish? As far as I can see, it appears only in the header and (a custom addition by me) in the help home page.
What do you mean by "configuration number"? I can only repeat that NONE of the WebHelp output files contain the version number you enter in for the version variables in Configuration > Common Properties > Title and Copyright unless you yourself have entered one or more of the version variables in your project or skin somewhere (<%VERSION%>, <%VERSION_BUILD%>, <%VERSION_MAJOR%> and <%VERSION_MINOR%>). If you mean some other variable or property you need to describe what it is, and where you put it.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Sorry, mis-stated - meant 'version number'. And finally it sinks in - where I put it, there it is...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Dave Gehman wrote:Sorry, mis-stated - meant 'version number'. And finally it sinks in - where I put it, there it is...
All good then. Have a nice weekend. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Dave Gehman

Thanks - and you, too.