Adding tables to a paragraph with a border

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Erich Carshagen

Adding tables to a paragraph with a border

Unread post by Erich Carshagen »

Good day!

When adding examples to the document, we change the font color and place the sentence or paragraph in a paragraph border. Usually the next line will be a new paragraph, but using Shift + Enter will keep the paragraph together and allow for the border to be around all the text.
01Paragraph.jpg
If i try to add a table, the table is not included in the paragraph but seen as a new paragraph with its own border. I have tried to keep all the paragraphs together with the word wrapping or keep paragraph with next toggles, but with not success. Is there a way to keep the table and text in the same paragraph, i.e. add table after the last sentence in the attached pic.?

Thank you
Erich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rainer Oehry

Re: Adding tables to a paragraph with a border

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Hi Erich,

as I understand it, tables always "occupy" their own paragraph, so you probably won't be able to do it that way.

May I suggest another approach:
  • Create an "outer" table with just one cell, and apply a "border around table" color. This will provide the border around all the content that should go into the frame.
  • Then fill that single table cell with your text and the "content" table. (It is possible to have more than one paragraph in one table cell, and it is possible to nest tables. You can use cell padding in the "outer" table to control the margin between the border and the content in that cell.)
This should give you the required result.
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Erich Carshagen

Re: Adding tables to a paragraph with a border

Unread post by Erich Carshagen »

Hi Rainer,

That is what i thought as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Erich