Image PNG and BMP selection

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

alanmcd

Image PNG and BMP selection

Unread post by alanmcd »

I sometimes have an image called filename.png and filename.bmp (both file extensions on the same filename) in my images directory.
When I place the .bmp file into the topic and then compile, I get the png file compiled in. Even though I clearly place the .bmp file and I see .bmp in the xmlsource.
How do I get the bmp file (or the one I really want into the project and not the other one?
Alan
Martin Wynne

Re: Image PNG and BMP selection

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Alan,

Which output format? BMP files are not normally be used in HTML formats (Webhelp, CHM, EWriter). It's possible that H&M is loading the BMP file and converting it to PNG for the HTML output. That conversion may fail if a PNG with the same name already exists, and that PNG then gets used instead.

cheers,

Martin.
alanmcd

Unread post by alanmcd »

I'm outputting CHM, I'm renaming all the duplicates. I created the bmp with screen capture some time ago. With these edits I am using Snipping tool and pasting into H&M which saves as PNG.
Alan
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

How do I get the bmp file (or the one I really want into the project and not the other one?
You will never get a BMP file in HTML-based output. BMP files are incompatible with HMTL; they can't be used there, so they must be converted to an HTML-friendly image format (PNG, JPG or GIF). If you have introduction.bmp and introduction.png and your image conversion settings for bitmaps are set to PNG, then they will both be called introduction.png in the output and whichever one is written last will overwrite the other one.

You need to have unique names, irrespective of the file format. Alternatively, you could change your bitmap conversion settings to JPG+GIF in Configuration > Publishing Options > HTML Help/WebHelp > HTML Export Options. But then you would have to be equally careful not to have any BMP files with the same names as JPG or GIF files, if you are inserting those directly. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.