Paste Image and Image Counter

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

alanmcd

Paste Image and Image Counter

Unread post by alanmcd »

When I paste an image into a topic the image save dialog come up and wants to save the image as e.g. clip0043.png etc
How do I change this counter to start again at a higher number?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Paste Image and Image Counter

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alan,

That isn't configurable at the moment, it calculates the number from what it finds in your default images folder, which is the first folder referenced in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path. However, I would generally strongly recommend not using the automatically-generated filenames. Those are really just placeholders. It's much better to give your images descriptive names; that will make it a lot easier when you're managing your image files later.

Important: Don't use spaces or non-alphanumeric characters in your image file names, except - and _, which are both OK. If you do the names won't be HTML-compatible and Help+Manual will have to change the name on publishing. Then It changes the output filenames to hashxxx.yyy, where xxx is a consecutive number and yyy is the file extension.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
alanmcd

Unread post by alanmcd »

Why does it prompt to save with the last saved name if created by H&M but not by the previous user entered name?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

alanmcd wrote:Why does it prompt to save with the last saved name if created by H&M but not by the previous user entered name?
Basically, because it does. 8) But seriously -- that wouldn't really work. If you're using completely descriptive names you would be overwriting every name completely anyway. And if you have your own numbering or incremental naming scheme of another kind there's no way it could understand that and increment it without generating errors. The only safe solution is to stay with its own incremental scheme as a still functional placeholder that you can overwrite.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.