Save help window size and position in registry

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

alanmcd

Save help window size and position in registry

Unread post by alanmcd »

The help windows settings provides a way for the CHM window's size and position settings to be saved in the users' registry.
Where is this setting saved (what key?)
I need to remove it or reset it.
Or maybe there is a way to have it reset when I publish a new version?
Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Save help window size and position in registry

Unread post by Tim Green »

alanmcd wrote:The help windows settings provides a way for the CHM window's size and position settings to be saved in the users' registry.
Where is this setting saved (what key?)
I need to remove it or reset it.
No, you don't. Do NOT try to disable this setting unless your objective is to seriously annoy your users every time they open your help. 8)

You cannot know how large their screens are, where they want to have their help window or how large they want it to be. You shouldn't try to dictate the size and position of the help window any more than you would dictate the size and position of a web browser. All you need to do is to set a reasonable initial size and position for the CHM viewer for the first time it opens. Everything else is up to the user. The position and size they set will be used automatically next time they open the CHM.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
alanmcd

Unread post by alanmcd »

Ah thanks for the advice
But during development I need to ensure that the size I initially set is correct and not the result of me first estimate.
So I need to wipe out my own registry settings ans see what the initial size and format is.
So I ask again....
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alan,

If you turn off the setting for saving the size and position in the registry you should get the positions you set every time. You should never need to change the registry setting directly.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.