Snippet title variable

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Snippet title variable

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
I have some projects with a TOC for online help output and another for pdf output.

Some topics are inserted on a single page in the online TOC, but output as subchapters in the TOC pdf (which is what I want).

The topics which are inserted as snippets only display the topic contents in the online version. Is it possible to display the title of the snippet as well as the contents e.g. via variable similar to <%TARGETTITLE%> but without the link? I currently copy/paste them so that I can format them but would prefer an automated solution.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Snippet title variable

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

Sorry, it is not currently possible to get the title of a snippet from the snippet. The reason for this is that snippets don't have topic status, so they don't have titles, even if the file they are inserted from is a topic file with a title. They are always inserted *in* another topic, and they simply become part of the content of that topic. The only title available is the one that belongs to that topic. The same applies to any per-topic variables -- they belong to the topic containing the snippet (and it can also contain multiple snippets) not to the snippet. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Re: Snippet title variable

Unread post by John Johann »

Thanks Tim,
No biggie, would just save some typing :-)