Keywords

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sean Godley

Keywords

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi all,

Can someone please explain to me the purpose of Keywords in the Topic Options tab? What are these keywords meant to be used for? What is the difference between these keywords and the terms that users search for when they use the "Keyword Search"? I am under the impression that the Keyword Search is for searching the entire text of output manuals, whilst the chapter keywords are intended to create a list of keywords that users can browse/select (and that details subchapters and topics of manual pages etc) as well as an index in the case of output PDF manuals.

Any clarification greatly appreciated.

Sean
Martin Wynne

Re: Keywords

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Sean,

Keywords are entries in the Keyword Index tab in the left column.

You can add keywords to a topic as you write (highlight a word, then Ctrl+K), or you can add and edit keywords in the Topic Options tab, or both. The latter method has the advantage that you can create a structure in the Keyword Index by indenting the actual keywords with a space.

For example in one topic you may enter:

breakfast options
  porridge

and in another topic you may have:

breakfast options
  scrambled eggs
  cereals

In the final Keyword Index you would then have

breakfast options - not clickable
  cereals - clickable link to second topic
  porridge - clickable link to first topic
  scrambled eggs - clickable link to second topic

etc. H&M sorts it all into alphabetical order.

p.s. in all my projects I change the heading "Keyword Index" to "A-Z Index", which makes the difference between that and the "Search" tab clearer for users. There is often confusion between the meaning of the words "keywords" and "search terms".

cheers,

Martin.