Scroll focus does not follow mouse position

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

Scroll focus does not follow mouse position

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Most Windows programs that I am aware of have the "scroll focus" follow the mouse position - if I scroll up and down using the mouse wheel, the scroll command goes into the window or frame where the mouse pointer is currently in.

Not so in H&M: Whenever I select a topic in the project explorer section and then need to scroll down the just opened topic in the editor, I cannot just move the mouse into the editor frame and turn the wheel, I have to click into the editor first, otherwise the project explorer content is scrolled down, even when I am already hovering over the editor.

The same is true the other way round: To scroll the project explorer, I need to click into it, I cannot just hover over it.

On the other hand, if I undock the project explorer and move the mouse out of it, it does not scroll anymore at all (neither does the editor). If I try to pin the project explorer, the moment I click on the pin, it does not scroll anymore at all. If I then move the mouse into the editor, the project explorer collapses, but the editor still does not have the focus - I have to click into it first to be able to scroll it. If I then hover over the pinned project explorer, it expands, but does not get the scroll focus - instead the partly covered editor scrolls "under" the expanded project explorer.

This is unexpected, and for me it's annoying, because I regularly forget that H&M is behaving differently than any other program I am using, and I iadvertently keep scrolling the wrong frame.

Is there a setup option that I am not aware of that could change this behavior?

Thank you,
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Martin Wynne

Re: Scroll focus does not follow mouse position

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Rainer Oehry wrote:Most Windows programs that I am aware of have the "scroll focus" follow the mouse position - if I scroll up and down using the mouse wheel, the scroll command goes into the window or frame where the mouse pointer is currently in.
Hi Rainer,

It won't help with H&M, but there is a setting in Windows about this: Settings > Devices > Mouse > "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

"Scroll" is not the correct description for this option. A window receives the wheel events regardless of what it does with them. For example in many drawing programs the wheel by itself is used to zoom, not scroll.

cheers,

Martin.
Rainer Oehry

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Thank you, Martin,

this option is already activated and works as expected in all the other programs I use.
Martin Wynne wrote:It won't help with H&M …
Yeah, that's the problem …

Why not?
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

I second this complaint! I find it extremely annoying when, having selected a topic to edit from the topic list, I move the mouse to try to scroll down to the text I plan to edit, only to discover that the topic text has not moved, and worse, that the topic list is now showing entries several dozen items away from where I wanted it to be, making it impossible to quickly check later that I am editing the correct highlighted topic.

I cannot think of any good reason why it works the way it does, and it would be a wonderful Christmas present to have this bug fixed.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi All,

Thanks for commenting on this, we're looking into it. The first issue is that the page objects in HM aren't responding to Windows 10's ability to scroll pages without the window actually having focus, if the option is activated. We have to see whether this can be made possible.

There also appears to be different mouse wheel behavior with different mouse models. For example, I have two different MS Mouse models, one on my laptop and one on my desktop. The one on the laptop has a touch surface instead of a wheel, and that is rather funky when scrolling in the Project Explorer but fine in the topic editor. The one with a physical wheel is fine in both. We're also looking into this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.