Link to Excel file from CHM on Internal Website

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

cindynotbrady

Link to Excel file from CHM on Internal Website

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

I have a weird problem. We have some Excel files on a Sharepoint site. I have used an Internet link to link to those Excel files in my help project. Then I compile my help to CHM.

To me, it works great. But some of our Windows 10 users click the link to the Excel files and get nothing. No message, just nothing.

I know that happens with a file link if the Excel file is not in the same folder as the CHM, but I've never experienced that with an Internet link to a Sharepoint site. Could this be something HelpAndManual could fix, or is this caused by the user's Internet Options?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Link to Excel file from CHM on Internal Website

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cindy,

Sympathies to you for having to work with Sharepoint. There are a couple of possibilities here. The users' computers or group policies may have restrictions on opening some file types, even from Internet links. Alternatively, it may not actually be an Internet link, or may not be being treated as an Internet link -- Sharepoint is a bizarro world unto itself and different from a normal web server. That is something that your Sharepoint administrator would have to know, provided they have insight into the byzantine depths of the Sharepoint configuration... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindynotbrady

Re: Link to Excel file from CHM on Internal Website

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

Ha, ha, ha! So true! Sharepoint...I get you. Thanks so much!