Is there a way to place a tooltip on a TOC Topic title?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Is there a way to place a tooltip on a TOC Topic title?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

One of our people has come up with some really good subheads for some existing topics in our help file.

Can I attach them as tooltips to the TOC entries, such that, in WebHelp, the reader can hover over the TOC entry and see the nifty subhead?
Martin Wynne

Re: Is there a way to place a tooltip on a TOC Topic title?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Dave Gehman wrote:One of our people has come up with some really good subheads for some existing topics in our help file. Can I attach them as tooltips to the TOC entries, such that, in WebHelp, the reader can hover over the TOC entry and see the nifty subhead?
Hi Dave,

That's a great idea. I could use that myself -- so many times I find myself needing to abbreviate TOC entries to fit, to the point where they sometimes get quite cryptic. A fuller explanation in a tooltip would be great. I can't think why I've never thought of it myself. :?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible within H&M itself, it will be necessary to edit the hmcontent.html file after publishing. So I shall be writing a Windows utility to do that -- it will need a source txt file containing the texts. I can post a copy of the exe here if you wish?

The idea works fine -- here is a quick working example:

http://85a.uk/skin_toc_hover/

Thanks again for the idea.

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Isn't that beautiful...

If I'm reading this right, I'd have to run the exe after every update, prior to uploading the WebHelp mini-site... maybe that would be good exercise of my short-term memory...
Martin Wynne

Dave Gehman wrote:If I'm reading this right, I'd have to run the exe after every update?
Hi Dave,

Only if you have modified the TOC in the update. If only the topic pages are being edited you could place the modified TOC file in the Baggage files, and it would over-write the one freshly created.

Alternatively you could run the exe from the command line after publishing, or via a .bat file.

In any event, if we forget to run it, it doesn't break the site, it just loses the tooltips until the next time we remember. :)

cheers,

Martin.
Martin Wynne