Controlling font used for bullets in lists

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Controlling font used for bullets in lists

Unread postby rodrikwade » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi
In the web help output, the first-level bullet (•) is now displayed very small (I notice that it is the same in H&M online help output). Strangely this seems to have changed fairly recently. A project that I published in August last year has considerably larger bullets. Viewing the HTML, the difference seems to be the use of Lucida Sans Unicode rather then Arial Unicode MS:

New (small):
Code: Select all
<span class="f_Normal" style="font-family: 'Lucida Sans Unicode','Lucida Grande','Lucida Sans','Arial';display:inline-block;width:13px;margin-left:-13px">&#8226;</span>

Old (bigger):
Code: Select all
<span style="font-size:12pt; font-family: 'Arial Unicode MS','Lucida Sans Unicode','Arial';color:#000000;display:inline-block;width:13px;margin-left:-13px">&#8226;</span>

Is there any way to control this?

Regards

Rodrik
rodrikwade

Re: Controlling font used for bullets in lists

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Rodrik,

This is a sticky problem when converting bullets on Windows systems to characters that work cross-platform on browsers running on any system. The issue is that on Windows, bullet-like characters are almost always displayed with native Windows fonts like the various flavors of Wingdings. These are known as "Windows glyph fonts" and they only work on Windows, and are actively boycotted by all browsers except Microsoft browsers, even if they are running on Windows, because those browsers run on other platforms as well and they want to be the same on all platforms.

If we leave in the Wingdings bullets they will look fine on Internet Explorer and Edge, but they won't work in Chrome, Firefox or Opera, or any other "other" browsers. There's been some fine-tuning done on the conversion recently and that is what you're seeing in your output. I've asked our developer who works on this to chime in and he or I will be adding his information on this to this conversion soon. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Controlling font used for bullets in lists

Unread postby rodrikwade » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Tim

Thank you for clarifying that -- at least I know now that I haven't inadvertently changed something.

Rodrik
rodrikwade

Return to Help & Manual 7 Forum