Run-time merged CHM - child - selected TOC entry

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Run-time merged CHM - child - selected TOC entry

Unread post by John Johann »

In a run-time merged CHM help system, it should be ok to have topics in the individual children with the same name.

I am migrating an inherited help system where this is the case e.g. multiple 01_Title.htm in the various children.

I have set up a new master TOC to aggregate the children and listed all the CHM in the [MERGE FILES] section.

In the children, I have listed all their siblings in the [MERGE FILES] section and specified that the master TOC is displayed when they are opened.

The wrong title is sometimes highlighted in the master TOC when a child is opened. Is there a solution apart from renaming the child topics?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Run-time merged CHM - child - selected TOC entry

Unread post by Tim Green »

John Johann wrote:The wrong title is sometimes highlighted in the master TOC when a child is opened. Is there a solution apart from renaming the child topics?
I will check on this, but probably not. While it is technically possible to have the same IDs in child projects in a runtime system it's still not a good practice and any problems that the very old Microsoft CHM system has are unlikely to be fixed by Microsoft.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.