TOC entry pointing to anchor in topic / Masterpage

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alex Luna

TOC entry pointing to anchor in topic / Masterpage

Unread post by Alex Luna »

Hello,

I'm trying H&M 7, I'm new to it and couldn't find how to create a TOC entry that points to an anchor in a topic.
I would also like to generate a WebHelp that make use of my ASP.NET application's MasterPage. Is that possible?

Thank you
Regards
Alex
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: TOC entry pointing to anchor in topic / Masterpage

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,
Alex Luna wrote:I'm trying H&M 7, I'm new to it and couldn't find how to create a TOC entry that points to an anchor in a topic.
Switching the TOC entry to an anchor instead of the top of the topic is easy. Just create a normal entry to the topic, then open the Topic Options tab on the left of the topic editor window. On the upper left you can select an anchor that you want to link to in the Anchor: field, providing that topic contains anchors.

You can use this to create fake "chapters" based on only one topic by creating multiple entries for the same topic, pointing to different anchors, with the entry pointing to the top of the topic as the main chapter entry. Sounds like a great idea, but generally isn't. The Previous/Next navigation will only work correctly in the Premium Pack V3 skins and it can tempt you to create excessively long topics . In almost all cases a separate topic for each subject is the best way to go and then you don't need to have TOC entries with anchors either. 8)
Alex Luna wrote:I would also like to generate a WebHelp that make use of my ASP.NET application's MasterPage. Is that possible?
That depends what you want to do. What do you want the relationship between your master page and your documentation? Note that the V3 skins in the Premium Pack provide extensive features for integrating WebHelp in web applications, with help embedding and field-level topics that can be displayed in your own pages without taking the user away to a different tab or window. See here in the Premium Pack documentation for details:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... edded.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Luna

Unread post by Alex Luna »

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your fast response.
Yes, what I want is to fully integrate the webhelp into my web app, allowing the client to navigate the help while keeping the app header (where the logo and main menu are located) and footer in the same page.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Alex Luna wrote:Yes, what I want is to fully integrate the webhelp into my web app, allowing the client to navigate the help while keeping the app header (where the logo and main menu are located) and footer in the same page.
Then the Premium Pack V3 skins would be the best course for you. Have a look at the documentation I linked to there and get back to me on it if you have any further questions. You can also write to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) if you prefer direct support.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.