Relink projects when paths have changed

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tobias Escher

Relink projects when paths have changed

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Hi!

I have a number of projects that link to each other, have repositories connected, etc...
Now the path and name of the parent folder that holds all these projects has changed and the projects do not find each other anymore.

To be precise, everything used to be contained in a folder called "Help and Manual Projects". This folder contains sub-folders with all the projects. This folder has now been renamed.

How can I relink the correct paths?

best

Tobias
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Relink projects when paths have changed

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tobias,

This can't currently be done directly but there are plans to improve it. However, since the links are really just references in the TOC it is still easy to do: Just delete the current node and re-add from the new location. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Hi Tim,

this worked for in-project references, but the repositories do not show up in the ToC and I can't find their assignment in the project file...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tobias,
Tobias Escher wrote:this worked for in-project references, but the repositories do not show up in the ToC and I can't find their assignment in the project file...
This is a known limitation that we're working very hard to improve for the next version of Help+Manual. The problem lies in the repository management method inside the program: All the repository references in your project actually have explicit references to the repository name, but not to its location. If the repository is moved and you then remove it from the repository manager and re-insert it without re-starting Help+Manual, you will get a repository reference with an incrementing number, because HM still remembers the removed repository and thinks it needs a new name to prevent collisions. This new name then doesn't match the references to the repository snippets in your project.

Here's what you need to do:
  1. Unlink the repository from your project without deleting the styles and save and close the project.
  2. Go to the Repository Manager and remove the repository from the list.
  3. Close Help+Manual and restart and add the repository in the Repository Manager. Make sure that the name in the list is now the same as it used to be (no number added after the name)
  4. Now start your project and re-link. The name should now match the references in your project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

That worked great, thanks!
Looking forward to the next major update, by the way :)