Can't figure how to force a style

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Can't figure how to force a style

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Often when pasting material in a topic from RTF or other sources, the new material seems to have either no style or a style of its own.

Selecting a heading, for example, and changing its style to Heading 1 often results in minimal changes to the selected material and a "+" appended to the style in the Styles drop-down in the Font section of the Write ribbon. Sometimes the font size remains the same as the original (say, 12 points versus the 16 points in the default Heading 1 style) and sometimes the text remains normal rather than going to bold.

Is there a way to force the style definition on the new material. I don't need the style adapting itself to the new material, I want the new material to adapt to the H+M style...
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can't figure how to force a style

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
Dave Gehman wrote:Often when pasting material in a topic from RTF or other sources, the new material seems to have either no style or a style of its own.

That is then exactly what it had in the RTF file: Either no style (it was manually formatted) or a style of its own (it was formatted with a style).
Selecting a heading, for example, and changing its style to Heading 1 often results in minimal changes to the selected material and a "+" appended
Then you just clicked in the heading instead of selecting it. Since the imported text already has its own formatting, that has priority. HM applies the attributes of the style you selected that don't conflict with the existing formatting and leaves the existing formatting intact. The StyleName+ display indicates this -- it means that the text in question has additional formatting that overrides some or all attributes of the displayed style.
Is there a way to force the style definition on the new material. I don't need the style adapting itself to the new material, I want the new material to adapt to the H+M style...
To do that select the entire paragraph(s) and then apply the style. If you want to apply paragraph attributes as well it's important to select the entire paragraph. If you only select part of it (leaving out a single character is enough) then only text attributes will be applied.

See this chapter in the help for the full Monty:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... atting.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Re: Can't figure how to force a style

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

All is revealed...

I've been mistakenly using the Word approach, where, once the cursor is anywhere in a paragraph, Word imposes its style on all of the paragraph.