Relative path links to a previous style repository

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

julio

Relative path links to a previous style repository

Unread post by julio »

Hi,

I have just noticed a behavior that seems odd and I want to report it here so that you can evaluate it as a bug or not.
We have a product that is currently in version 5.0 and its previous version was 4.8. When working on version 4.8, I created a style repository to share all styles among documentation projects. Everything worked fine and as you can see on image Repository on v48, the path to that repository on the project is a relative one (pointing to c:\proj\e3v48\help\style\repository).

When we created a new branch of this product in TFS, I created a new folder to differentiate from v4.8, that is, all files were moved to c:\proj\e3v50. As you can see on image Repository on v50, the repository path is still relative, but relative to the previous v48 repository.

It seems that H&M forced a relative path to v48, which I believe is not consistent with its behavior regarding all other relative paths. Images, for example, continue to work correctly with their relative paths on v50, because they are still on the same level as in previous v48. The repository is now on the same previous level and that should not be a problem.

What I did for now was to create a new repository pointing to v50, which was automatically named 'e3_style_repository_1' and change all projects to point to it, as you can see on image Manage Repositories.

Is it the correct behavior for repository paths? Aren't they supposed to follow that behavior of preserving their relative paths?

I am currently using version 7.4.1 Build 4615.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Relative path links to a previous style repository

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Julio,

Style repositories are currently a little tricky when you move the projects linked to them because the linked references are not editable and are also a little sticky. This is going to be improved in the next major version. If you don't de-register the repository and restart Help+Manual you will end up with a new repository reference with a number after it, which will no longer match the repository references in your snippets in your project. To unlink and relink in a new location you need to do this:
  1. Go to the Repository Manager and unlink the repository from your project without deleting the styles , then save and close the project.
  2. Go to the Repository Manager again and remove the repository from the list.
  3. Close Help+Manual and restart and add the repository in the Repository Manager. Make sure that the name in the list is now the same as it used to be (no number added after the name)
  4. Now start your project and re-link. The name should now match the references in your project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
julio

Unread post by julio »

OK, but with this solution, what happens when I open a project on v48? Its references now point to the repository on v50?

Thanks.
Tim Green wrote:Hi Julio,

Style repositories are currently a little tricky when you move the projects linked to them because the linked references are not editable and are also a little sticky. This is going to be improved in the next major version. If you don't de-register the repository and restart Help+Manual you will end up with a new repository reference with a number after it, which will no longer match the repository references in your snippets in your project. To unlink and relink in a new location you need to do this:
  1. Go to the Repository Manager and unlink the repository from your project without deleting the styles , then save and close the project.
  2. Go to the Repository Manager again and remove the repository from the list.
  3. Close Help+Manual and restart and add the repository in the Repository Manager. Make sure that the name in the list is now the same as it used to be (no number added after the name)
  4. Now start your project and re-link. The name should now match the references in your project.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Julio,
OK, but with this solution, what happens when I open a project on v48? Its references now point to the repository on v50?
The name of the repository is included in the snippet references so if you change the link to the repository to one with a different name you also need to manually update your snippets. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.