repository style changes not updating in linked projects

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

simon harris

repository style changes not updating in linked projects

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim,

I seem to be having difficulties with style repository updates in linked projects.

I decided to make changes to styles in my repository - all cool there and the style changes are reflected in the snippet topics in the repository.

I open other projects that are liked to the repository and the style changes are not reflected. At all.

I unlinked from the repository, relinked etc etc, but seemingly no changes visible in linked projects no matter what i do.

Any idea?

Thanks kindly.
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: repository style changes not updating in linked projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

Check in Styles > Edit Styles in your connected project. Are the styles there shown with "locked" icons and is it impossible to edit them? That shows that the styles are linked. If not, they have just been copied and there is no link.

Then look in the Repository Manager and carefully match the name of the repository shown linked to the project with the name of the repository in the list. Does the name have a number after it? If it does, there is a problem caused by the linking and unlinking that needs to be solved first:

Style repositories are currently a little tricky when you move the repository or projects linked to them because the linked references are not editable and are also a little sticky. This is going to be improved in the next major version. If you don't de-register the repository and restart Help+Manual you will end up with a new repository reference with a number after it, which will no longer match the repository references in your snippets in your project. To unlink and relink in a new location you need to do this:
  1. Go to the Repository Manager and unlink the repository from your project without deleting the styles , then save and close the project.
  2. Go to the Repository Manager again and remove the repository from the list.
  3. Close Help+Manual and restart and add the repository in the Repository Manager. Restarting is essential to clear the memory of the old repository so that you don't get a new reference with a number.
  4. Make sure that the name in the list is now the same as it used to be (no number added after the name)
  5. Now start your project and re-link. The name should now match the references in your project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
simon harris

Unread post by simon harris »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, all styles were locked. I followed your procedure, but no change for me :? . Not sure what's going on, but its not the biggest issue i have to deal with :) .
All the best,
Simon
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Simon,

I need to have a look at this. If possible, pack your style repository and a demo project illustrating the issue in a zip and mail me a download link at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @).

The easiest way to do this is to put it in a cloud folder like OneDrive or DropBox and mail me the sharing link. Please ONLY the sharing link, NOT a link associated with a specific email address! The support mail address doesn't have any cloud accounts.

Another alternative is the excellent new Firefox Send service, which allows you to share files up to 1GB without registration from any browser. In addition to this you can set an expiry time and that the download link should expire as soon as the file has been downloaded:

https://send.firefox.com/
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.