Customer project lost - please help

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Daniel Vintersvard

Customer project lost - please help

Unread post by Daniel Vintersvard »

Hello!

I started a customer project in compressed format and now that they want to work on it themselves I thought
I'd make it an uncompressed project to potentially allow several users working on the project (not simultaneously).

So, open project, save as uncompressed ....
That didn't go well. It creates the folder and structure of the project but looses all links to pages but what is WORSE is
that I can no longer open the compressed project (these two are placed in separate folders).

I suspect Windows 10 - Delphi issues (seriously, if so, with the amount of trouble Win 10 is dealing out right now I sort of wish
there was an alternative ....).
Please see attached image of the error message.
Running H&M in admin mode doesn't help.

I hadn't gotten very far so it's not an absolute disaster, nor did I use any version control for the same reason so no backup.

Any suggestions?

BR, Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daniel Vintersvard

Re: Customer project lost - please help

Took the original compressed project and unzipped it. Using that.

Is that how it is supposed to work?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Daniel,
Daniel Vintersvard wrote:Took the original compressed project and unzipped it. Using that.
Is that how it is supposed to work?
That will work but you shouldn't actually need to do that if you have the Pro or Server version. If you select Save As.. in the File menu you can choose the uncompressed format and then when you save in an empty folder you will get an uncompressed .hmxp project. The Basic version can't save uncompressed projects, however, although it can edit them.

You definitely shouldn't lose any links etc. If you save in a different location you may need to relocate the image files used in the project. These are found by Help+Manual by looking in the folders listed in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path. You can delete old references there and insert new references to the locations of the folders relative to the new project location. Ideally the best method is to put the image folders inside the project folder. The references are relative, so if you do that you can move the entire project with its images just by moving the folder with its sub-folders, and then you don't have to change the search path references.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Daniel Vintersvard

Tnx for answer Tim,

We use the Pro version. I've done these conversions before. This time I received an error message in the save process
I didn't save. I'll rememeber to to keep it if I end up there again.

:)

//Daniel