Questions about variables

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Anna Ryut

Questions about variables

Unread post by Anna Ryut »

Hi!
Is there any possibility to add variables as the value of other variables?

F.e. I have one common HTML template for several projects (one style and view), but some elements of these projects may differ (like buttons).
And I need to change these elements when publishing a project (f.e. Project_1=button_1.svg, Project_2=buttons_2.svg). Can I create f.e. a variable <%BUTTONS%> in the project with various values, and create a variable <%PROJ_BUTTON%> in the HTML template? Will this work or I need to think over other methods?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Questions about variables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Anna,
Is there any possibility to add variables as the value of other variables?
Absolutely. The variables system in HM is specifically designed to enable that. In addition to that you can also use manually typed variables in the TOC and in a wide range of Configuration settings in both your project and your skin.

When using variables in both the project and the skin you need to be aware that the inheritance only goes in one direction: You can use a variable defined in your project in the skin, but you can't use a variable defined in the skin in your project. Similarly, when templates and settings are defined both in the project and the skin, the skin version always replaces the project version. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Anna Ryut

Re: Questions about variables

Unread post by Anna Ryut »

Thanks, I know about TOC, but I wasn't sure about skins