Table Formatting

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dakota Dreyer

Table Formatting

Unread post by Dakota Dreyer »

Hello All!
I have a formatting issue with some tables I have created in which the column with are changed when published to PDF. Here are a couple screenshots of what I have created in H&M as well as the same table after publishing to PDF.
[/img]HMtable.PNG
After publishing to PDF the table appears as below.
PDFtable.PNG
I have played with the column width setting with not very much success. I do have the latest version of H&M 7.4.2 build 4650, Any assitance to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Table Formatting

Unread post by Tim Green »

This is caused by the fact that there are no page margins in the Help+Manual editor. This is necessary because the editor only edits the text without layout, since every output format has different layout needs. HTML output doesn't have any margins at all, for example -- those are defined by the the browser window. And even in PDF you will need different versions of the project with different page sizes and margins, which can be achieved by using different PDF templates.

What happens when you think your tables are "changing" in PDF output is that you are "pouring" your text and tables into a fixed-margin layout (the PDF template) where the table can't fit without adjustment. What you need to do is plan your tables so that they can adjust optimally to the confines of the PDF page margins. This is done by making one or more columns adjustable width with no fixed-width content (images, non-breaking text) that would prevent adjustment. How to do this is explained here in the help:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... widths.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.