Need help with SVN hell

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

Need help with SVN hell

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Our IT/dev group is requiring me to use SVN with H+M.

Windows 10 64-bit
SVN, latest
Tortoise, latest

First issue - I have a date in the folder name -- dBsgt-28Nov18. Our guy wants the date removed. Can I simply edit the folder name and delete the date?

Second issue:
We cannot downgrade SVN to V 1.9.2. Our company has a longstanding SVN setup on Azure.

All C++ components apparently are OK - the Microsoft installed indicated I already had the 64-bit and the 32-bit components

Downloaded 32 bit runtime components from Collabnet. At least I think I did - the link was for "Subversion Edge 6.1.5."

Ran their installer.
I end up on a Collabnet setup that I can't understand. Our guy says this should not be necessary, since we have SVN on an Azure server.

H+M File > Collaboration -- the SVN options are grayed out, message says that necessary components are not installed.

However, I did not reboot after installing the Collabnet program. Do I need to?

If I don't need to reboot, how can I access the current SVN from H+M?

THis is the information from Help > About for my TortoiseSVN:
TortoiseSVN 1.12.0, Build 28568 - 64 Bit , 2019/04/16 18:42:29
ipv6 enabled
Subversion 1.12.0, -release
apr 1.6.5
apr-util 1.6.1
serf 1.3.9
OpenSSL 1.1.1b 26 Feb 2019
zlib 1.2.11
SQLite 3.23.1
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Need help with SVN hell

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,
Downloaded 32 bit runtime components from Collabnet. At least I think I did - the link was for "Subversion Edge 6.1.5."
First of all on the Collabnet component. Subversion Edge 6.1.5 is definitely NOT what you want -- that is an entire Subversion package and you only need the 32-bit components. Please uninstall it.
I end up on a Collabnet setup that I can't understand. Our guy says this should not be necessary, since we have SVN on an Azure server.
Exactly. All you need is the 32-bit components that allow Tortoise to communicate with 32-bit programs like Help+Manual on 64-bit versions of Windows. Unfortunately, the Tortoise developers have taken the infinitely annoying decision of no longer including these components in their distribution, causing endless pain and suffering for us and everyone else using 32-bit programs with Tortoise. :roll:

What you need is the little installation further down on the same page with the words "32 bit" in the description. The current version also installs the Apache web server, which you don't need. Just ignore that and don't use it.

The version number also needs to match the version number of your Tortoise version exactly. The current version offered by Collabnet is 1.11.1, so you also need Tortoise 1.11.1, NOT the 1.12.0 version currently on the main Tortoise download page. You can get 1.11.1 here:

https://osdn.net/projects/tortoisesvn/s ... plication/

Download the 64 or 32 bit version depending on your Windows version. Note, however, that you DON'T need the Collabnet component if you are on 32-bit Windows, but that is very unlikely nowadays. As soon as both Tortoise and Collabnet are installed in the same version and Windows and HM are restarted you should be good to go as far as those components are concerned. So long as the SVN server is pretty much up to date the exact match with that isn't so important.
Dave Gehman wrote:First issue - I have a date in the folder name -- dBsgt-28Nov18. Our guy wants the date removed. Can I simply edit the folder name and delete the date?

Which folder? You shouldn't change any folder names manually in your local working copy. However, if you haven't added your project to SVN yet you can change anything you want before doing so. If you already have your project in SVN you can just create a new empty folder locally for it with any name your guy wants to have and pull a fresh working copy from the server into that, using the instructions here:

https://helpandmanual.com/help/index.ht ... ojects.htm

You need items 2 and 3: Projects already stored in SVN repositories and creating a local copy of a repository project.
TortoiseSVN 1.12.0, Build 28568 - 64 Bit , 2019/04/16 18:42:29
Just downgrade Tortoise back to 1.11.1 until Collabnet catches up and releases the 1.12.0 version. They should work fine with your SVN 1.12 server installation.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dave Gehman

Re: Need help with SVN hell

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Thanks much. Sometimes I think the objective of technology is to make life more difficult...