IPP -> PNG batch conversion

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Joe Hoper

IPP -> PNG batch conversion

Unread post by Joe Hoper »

Is there a way to batch convert .ipp clips into .png images? Ideally, I'm looking for something I can call from a command line. Also, is there anywhere to download the .ipp preview handler shell extension? I've seen a link on this forum to a beta version of H&M that contains ImpictPreviewHandler.dll but the link is dead.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: IPP -> PNG batch conversion

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Joe,

Impict doesn't have a command line option, sorry about that. Actually, Impict is now getting on in years and it's going to be replaced with something else that is going to do a lot more in addition to just editing screenshots. Wait and see.

As for the preview DLL, I've asked our developers about this and will let you know.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Joe,

The easiest way to batch-convert IPP images to PNG is to create a new project with Help+Manual and place the IPP images in a topic. H&M will convert them to PNG in the output. The ImpictPreviewHandler.dll never went live, it was not properly working, unfortunately.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Joe Hoper

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

Given that Impict is on the way out, would you be willing to provide some details on the file format? I can extract PaintDIB.DIB and BackgroundDIB.DIB and while they seem to have valid BITMAPFILEHEADER structures, I can’t decode the pixel data, etc.

Thanks
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Joe,

The file format is binary, an object structure with DIBs (device-independent bitmaps) and everything is LZH compressed. We will keep Impict available as a separate free program and Help+Manual will always be able to read IPP files and convert them. So there is no reason to manually convert them. If you want to convert IPP files to PNG, the best way is the Webhelp export of Help+Manual. You get PNG files for every IPP in the output folder.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

If you want to convert IPP files to PNG, the best way is the Webhelp export of Help+Manual. You get PNG files for every IPP in the output folder.
You can also switch this to JPG or GIF, as required, in Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > HTML Export Options. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Joe Hoper

Ok -- exporting each build into its own folder and pulling .png/.jpg from there.

Still really interested in the .ipp file format though! Come on, gimme some more details, maybe I can help you write a stable shell extension for preview? I know first hand that Delphi's a pain in the arse for writing shell extensions ;-)