Mouse wheel direction for zooming in and out

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rainer Oehry

Mouse wheel direction for zooming in and out

Unread post by Rainer Oehry »

Right now I am working on some layout details where it is convenient to zoom in and out, in order to switch between a "details view" and an "overview". I do this zooming in and out alternatively in both the H&M editor and in the browser window, where I check the published result, and I use CTRL + mouse wheel to actually do the zooming.

The problem here is that the direction of the resulting zoom action in H&M is the reverse of all other programs I am aware of. Typically "rotate wheel forward" means "zooming in", that is, increasing the zoom level and enlarging the content, whereas "rotate wheel backward" means "zooming out", thereby decreasing the zoom factor and showing more, but smaller content. H&M does it exactly the other way round. This results in me constantly scrolling in the wrong direction when switching between H&M and any other program. Okay, this could be dismissed as a (probably age-related) issue on my side, but nevertheless …

Is there a reason for this non-standard behavior (besides the obvious "it was programmed that way")?
Regards,

Rainer
Head of Technical Writing & Knowledge Management
TIG Technische Informationssysteme GmbH, Rankweil, Austria
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Mouse wheel direction for zooming in and out

Unread post by Tim Green »

Thanks for posting this -- we're on it. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.