Changing page templates

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kristen Koenig

Changing page templates

Unread post by Kristen Koenig »

Hello -

I am updating a project and would like to use a different template for several pages. What is the best way to change templates that are in use and is there any way to change/apply a different template to several pages at once or will I need to edit each page individually?

Thank you,
Kristen
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Changing page templates

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kristen,

You need to set each template individually for pages that you want to have use a different template, in Topic Options.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT: If you are using a skin you can't just define a new page template in your project and use it. You need to follow the following procedure:

1) Open the .hmskin file and create the new template there. This MUST be an EXACT copy of the "Default" template in the skin, plus your own modifications. If it isn't, you will get serious errors in most skins. Also, be aware that it's very easy to cause errors in custom skins by changing or adding to the code, so you need to know what you are doing when creating customized versions of page templates.

2) In your project, create a dummy template with exactly the same name as your new template in the skin. The content of the template in the project doesn't matter because it will never be used. It will be replaced by the template of the same name from the skin. But you need it to be there with the correct name so that you can select it for your topics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.