List of Anchors

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Jamie Bodley-Scott

List of Anchors

Unread post by Jamie Bodley-Scott »

Anchors are really nice because the give you links right into topics (balboa.com?anchor=here).
Our support guys love this becasue they can point customers to the exact(ish) spot in the manual.
The problem is knowing if there is an Anchor there in the 1st place.

Is there a report or a tool which lists all the anchors - so others can look them up (if they exist) and try them. The only way at the moment is to call me and I look to see if there is one thereabouts.

Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: List of Anchors

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jamie,

The Long Report and Full Report in the Report tool will both include the anchors in each project. This won't be an anchor list, as such, but you can save the report as an HTML file that you could make available to your developers for searching. For example, you could put it on your web server and update it whenever changes are made to the project.

That all being said, this would still be of fairly limited usefulness unless your anchor names are very clear, because there will be no indication of where the anchor is in the topic. So the developer would know that there is an anchor there, but they wouldn't know what they are linking to -- unless a version of the project was already online, then they could test it with an anchor URL, of course. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Re: List of Anchors

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Jamie,

If you view your Webhelp in Firefox or Chrome, there is a nifty add-on which will display all the anchors on the page. Then a right-click on the displayed anchor and copy link location copies the page URL+anchor to the clipboard. I find it very useful:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... -_anchors/

https://github.com/Rob--W/display-anchors

Martin.