Copy TOC to another project?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Julie Kaiser

Copy TOC to another project?

Unread post by Julie Kaiser »

Is it possible to copy or share one of my TOCs to another project file? I assumed I could drag and drop it, but that doesn't work. Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Copy TOC to another project?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Julie,

You can't drag and drop the TOC but you can copy it. Select all the items in the TOC of he project that you want to copy and press CTRL+C (or right-click and select Copy). Then click in the TOC of the second project and press CTRL+V to paste (or right-click and select Paste). If you want to create a new TOC in the second project, create a new TOC first with one placeholder topic. Then select the placeholder topic and paste there.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
hubby2laura

Unread post by hubby2laura »

Is there any way to copy the Topic Files within the Project Files section between projects?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

hubby2laura wrote:Is there any way to copy the Topic Files within the Project Files section between projects?
Yes, this is easy to do:

First of all, if you copy from one TOC to another as described above the files will be copied automatically along with the TOC entries.

You can also copy the files directly. Save your project in the uncompressed HMXP format and CLOSE both projects in Help+Manual. (If you don't do this you risk serious problems.) Then you can copy the .xml topic files from one project's /Topics folder to the other. When you open the project they will then show up in Project Files and you can make TOC entries for them by dragging them into the TOC.

Very Serious Warnings:
  • Don't make new sub-folders in your Topics folder outside of Help+Manual. They won't show up in your project and they can cause errors. If you want additional folders, create them in Help+Manual first. Then they will be registered in your project.
  • If you do use sub-folders, be very careful not to create topic files with the same names as other topic files already in the project. That would cause conflicts and errors.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.