Help with a Read-Only topic!

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Laini Giles

Help with a Read-Only topic!

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Hi all--

I had a quick meeting with my boss to show him all the nifty snippets I made, and made a change to a topic in his office. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint), our company security is quite tight, and it gets very protective when you unplug from the network then show back up somewhere else (conference room, working from home, etc).

It has now locked the topic as read-only and I cannot get back into it, as it thinks I'm someone else. We are a multi-user operation using GIT through Sourcetree.

Any suggestions? I've tried Refresh Topic and doing a commit in GIT, but nothing appears to be working. :/ Will I need to copy the content then rebuild it?

Laini
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Help with a Read-Only topic!

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laini,

Help+Manual itself doesn't set anything to read-only. You only normally get a read-only message when someone else is editing the same uncompressed project and is editing the topic that you want to edit. You will also get a read-only on all topics if it is a single-file compressed project (.hmxz) that is open somewhere else.

However, in your case it sounds as though something external has set the project or the topic in question to read-only, external to Help+Manual. If that is the case you will need to sort out the external permissions issue to be able to access the topic. It may just be that the permissions have been set for the file itself, or the folder containing it. But that is something that your system admins would have to sort out, because it is not something that Help+Manual can change.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laini Giles

Re: Help with a Read-Only topic!

Unread post by Laini Giles »

Thanks, Tim.

I'll try to check with our tech guys and see if we can figure it out somehow.

L