String Constants of SearchPane as Variables in External File

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Allan Abraham

String Constants of SearchPane as Variables in External File

Unread post by Allan Abraham »

Hello,

I am using a batch file to publish Webhelp. On the command line, I specify an external variables file to redefine variable values. Can the string constants which are defined in the Skin file be redefined in the external variables file? For example, I have this entry in my external variables file:

Code: Select all

STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON=Senden
but it does not redefine the value of the corresponding string that is defined in the skin, even when the value of the constant in the skin is removed (that is

Code: Select all

STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON=(empty string)
).

If this string cannot be redefined via the external variables file, is there some other way to (re)define the value externally (i.e. not in the Skin)?

Reason: What we are trying to do is to use a single skin file to publish multiple language outputs (instead of using a different skin for each language). For each language we use a different external variables file that contains the strings of that language. This works fine in all respects except for the search-string constants. (For the Exclude list of the search, we are planning to append the words from other languages to the EN words in the skin, and trust that this will work. But if you know of an alternative way via external lists, I would much appreciate a pointer.)

So that's two questions actually: (i) how to externally (re)define search-string constants, (ii) is it possible to define the Excluded-words lists externally?

Thank you.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: String Constants of SearchPane as Variables in External

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Allan,
So that's two questions actually: (i) how to externally (re)define search-string constants, (ii) is it possible to define the Excluded-words lists externally?
The redefinition of variables defined in the skin will work if your /V= reference to the variables file comes AFTER your /O= reference to the skin file in the command line. This works as a regular XML overload sequence, so if the definition comes before the skin then the skin definition in the XML has priority and overloads the redefinition made previously.

You can't redefine the excluded word lists externally. Just make multiple copies of your skin with the appropriate definitions and then choose the corresponding skin in your command line.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Allan Abraham

Unread post by Allan Abraham »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the tip about the XML overload sequence. But even with the reordered switches, I am not able to redfine values for this variable(?)/constant(?): STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON

I am wondering if STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON is at all a variable. In the HM interface (Publishing Options > Webhelp > Full Text Search), it is referred to as a "String Constant", so I am not sure whether I am able to redefine the value of this "string constant" as I would redefine a variable's value. I ask because all other variables are being redefined correctly (including variables such as BREAD_LABEL), but not this one. If the value of STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON can be redefined, is there anything else I need to do besides adding it to the Variables file and putting /V after /O on the command line?

Thank you!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Allan,

Allan Abraham wrote:Thanks for the tip about the XML overload sequence. But even with the reordered switches, I am not able to redfine values for this variable(?)/constant(?): STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON
I am wondering if STR_FORM_SUBMIT_BUTTON is at all a variable.

Ah, sorry -- I overlooked that it was one of the search interface strings because the standard HM skins also have a number of normal configuration variables beginning with STR. Those variables are actually different because they define the user interface of the Zoom web search indexer, which is an external component, and not the parts of the WebHelp generated by Help+Manual.

I'm afraid you're correct there: Those variables cannot be changed via the external variables file loaded from the command line. If you want different texts there you will need to save variants of the skins, each with the texts you need. Sorry about that... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.