Error while parsing tag "hmkeywordindex"

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VincentBevort

Error while parsing tag "hmkeywordindex"

Unread post by VincentBevort »

Hi,

When I generate Webhelp I get the message ' Error while parsing tag "hmkeywordindex" '
then I get the following compiler message without any errors.

Code: Select all

Compiler Messages

Generating Full-text Search Index...
Wrensoft Zoom Search Engine [Core Engine] Version 7.0.1022b (Build: Custom for EC Software)
Core Engine: Version 7.0.1022b (Build: Custom for EC Software) on Windows 8 [Professional Edition]
Core engine IPC ready.
Start indexing (offline mode) at Tue Oct 01 13:07:09 2019
INDEX SUMMARY
Files indexed: 667
Files skipped: 1747
Files filtered: 0
Unique words found: 6030
Variant words found: 1954
Total words found: 141315
Avg. unique words per page: 9.04
Avg. words per page: 211
Errors: 0
Total bytes scanned/downloaded: 16365481
File extensions:
Successfully created all required files
What is this error about and how can I fix it?

What also worries me are the lines
Files skipped: 1747

what are these skipper files?
Senior Test Engineer & Technical Writer
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Error while parsing tag "hmkeywordindex"

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vincent,

On the skipped files: Check whether your project contains topic files with an underscore in front of their topic ID (for example "_Introduction" instead of just "Introduction"). That is a signal to the search indexer to skip the files, and some old Word imports may have that. Another possibility is that you are publishing your WebHelp to a folder that contains subfolders. That is always a bad idea: If the subfolders contain HTML files they will be indexed, which you may not want, and if they contain other files they will be listed as skipped. Really, you should always publish to an empty folder and/or use the option to delete all the files in the output folder before publishing (but then don't choose a folder with something else in it because everything will be deleted, including all subfolders).

The hmkeywordindex error is a little strange. It may be an error in your project. First check that you're on the latest version of HM7 (7.5.3 Build 4740). If you continue to get the error send the project to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) or send a download link and we'll check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Thanks Tim,

I'll check the underscore issue. but I am almost certain that I renamed all the topics to a more readable filename the imported ones.
Maybe I have some files hidden from the TOC.
BTW. nice to know that I can force skip a file in this way.

Concerning the subfolders in the HTML output:
my HTML folder is the last in line. and the subfolders in it are all yours. I'll start using the empty folder option and see if I get better results.
I deleted the folder by hand and start generating and checked the results afterwards.

Files skipped: 1652
I do have my generated files outside the source folder in an output folder

I'll send you my project (zipped) and include the template I use
Flowbird group
VincentBevort

Had to send the file with WeTransfer. Was too big for Google mail
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the files. The number of files skipped is correct because you are using a V3 skin. The files indexed are the topic files, and that is the correct number. The skipped files include all the JSON copies of the topic files for browsing (one file for each topic file), all the JavaScript files split up into single files for loading functions on demand, a lot of CSS files (separate versions loaded depending on device type) and some other management files. That is all fine.

The error message is caused by the topic file "CWO 2 Keywords.xml", which is not a topic file at all and so cannot be parsed. You will get this error when you try to edit it in Help+Manual in the Topic Files section as well. It consists of only raw keyword index XML in a file, without any of the XML required for topics. In addition to that its name is invalid, because Help+Manual doesn't allow spaces in topic filenames. My guess is that it was created somewhere else and copied into the Topics folder.

Finally, there is a very strange file in your project folder with the following name and no extension:

Code: Select all

68KfkKfqQGzgUq54IJKEYPKZXhNUzdZEf6RLsRcy0sU8ns9pta61l6ImyJKB5Ymp2Jk5HZdbuyXcovWb4PQaPDhNq57Fbwh8nce2f-JjTGHjGkWNnJfkgWW96oso34iNVBuKaI868KfkKfqQGzgUq54IJKEYPKZXhNUzdZEf6RLsRcy0sU8ns9pta61l6ImyJKB5Ymp2Jk5HZdbuyXcovWb4PQaPDhNq57Fbwh8nce2f-JjTGHjGkWNnJfkgWW96oso34iNVBuKaI8
Its contents appear to be binary. It's definitely not a HM file. I doubt whether it's causing any problems because there's no reason for HM to try to read it, but you might want to get rid of it or at least move it somewhere else anyway... :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Thanks a lot Tim,

The file you mention was an image that lost its png extension.
Something must have gone wrong when saving that file

The index file came probably from when I tried to export the keyword index from the index tool
Flowbird group