Lost HelpContext integration with Delphi w. v4 to 7 upgrade

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

rossmcm

Lost HelpContext integration with Delphi w. v4 to 7 upgrade

Unread post by rossmcm »

I was using 4.5 with Delphi 2007 and then we upgraded to v7 and I have just discovered that the Delphi Property Editor/Help and Manual integration is broken.

Specifically, when I select the ellipsis on the HelpContext property of a control, the dialog that opens expects to be connected to a *.hmx file. If I enter the name of my HMXZ file it complains that it isn't a valid project file, and then it chains to the old H&M 4 installation executable and starts that up.

Something is missing, but I can't find it. I tried reinstalling H&M in case there was something I missed to install but nothing. There was a H&M component in the packages list and I removed that, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent BPL in the H&M installation image.

Where do I go from here?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Lost HelpContext integration with Delphi w. v4 to 7 upgr

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

You actually don't need any additional components for Delphi any more, Delphi has included native support for HTML Help CHM files ever since D2005, so you just need to consult the Delphi documentation for information on making calls to your CHM files. Even so, if you want to continue using our EHS components you just need to recompile them in the current version of Delphi (the full source code is included).

Since Help & Manual version 5 we have also dropped the "remote control API" for Help & Manual, which the Delphi Wizard was based on. H&M now uses plain XML as the source format, which is easy to modify with 3rd party tools, so the remote control API is not needed any more.

You can still download the old EHS components from our Delphi page if you want, but this is really only needed for very old versions of Delphi without native CHM support:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads_delphi.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Thanks Tim. All I'm after is the ability to add help context numbers in the Delphi IDE property editor for the VCL components on my form. That used to work but now it's broken.
Last edited by rossmcm on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ross,

No problem -- I've asked Alexander to answer this as I don't use Delphi myself (I do utilities in C#...). His answer should be appearing here shortly. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hello Ross,

The Delphi IDE context number editor was discontinued with Help+Manual v5 already. It is no longer maintained.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
rossmcm

Unread post by rossmcm »

Thanks Alexander.
:cry: