Copy/Paste Text Boxes from Word

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

mscottallen

Copy/Paste Text Boxes from Word

Unread post by mscottallen »

Hoping someone may have a recommendation as I'm thinking it may not be possible.

I have many Word docs that I am needing to import into various topics in H&M. For the most part, copy/paste works fine.

It seems my challenge has to do with the Word docs that contain text boxes, with each text box shaded a different color (depending on the action necessary). And I have way too many to manually recreate them in H&M.

When I copy and paste into H&M, the text boxes are there but there isn't any text and there isn't any color. All other text copies over fine, just the text that's in the text boxes.

I'm still kind of a newbie with H&M and appreciate any direction to resolve my challenge. Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Copy/Paste Text Boxes from Word

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Scott,

Text boxes and other containers like that in Word are a special case and aren't supported, unfortunately. Neither copy and paste nor the import routines will bring them across. The only way to get the text out of them is to copy and paste from within the text boxes. One thought you might have would be to save the Word document as plain text and then import that, but Word simply leaves text boxes out completely when you do that -- text boxes are just as problematic for Microsoft's own programmers on import and export as they are for everyone else... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.