PP3 Template: Change content colours

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tobias Escher

PP3 Template: Change content colours

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Hi!

my employer wants the text to be white on dark for the whole help (WebHelp, using a PP V3 responsive skin).
I'm struggling to find where I can set the navigation and content to have a certain background colour. I know how to colour the topic text, but can't get the page background to be a particular colour.
I'd appreciate some help :)

best

Tobias
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PP3 Template: Change content colours

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tobias,

If you only want to change the color of the background of the topic page you can do that quite easily in hmwebhelp_main_desktop.css by adding a background-color: #000000; item to the div#hmpagebody definition and the corresponding item in the tablet version. It will look terrible and it won't match the rest of the design, but it's possible. If you want to also have dark backgrounds in the TOC, Index and Search panes you would have to completely redesign everything in them, because there the background color is an integral part of the navigation. You would also have to create new icons, change the colors of the borders and highlights and normal text color and highlighted text color and much more besides.

Fundamentally, this is really not something that you can just do. Dark mode is more than just making the background dark. Everything else has to be adjusted to match, otherwise it just looks wrong. For example, when Apple introduced a new dark mode for the MacOS recently an entire design team worked on it for months, and it still looks wrong in many details.

Summary: If you want dark mode you need a completely new skin. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Re: PP3 Template: Change content colours

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Thanks!
I managed to change most of the colours - now hoping that my boss likes it and does not force me to ditch H+M and go to Word files (yes, that's what is planned)...