Repository change does not change one single style

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

VincentBevort

Repository change does not change one single style

Unread post by VincentBevort »

Hi,

I created a new repository to try out some style changes.
All styles have a different print view layout than the screen view layout.

I changed all the affected styles and saved the repository with a new name in a separate folder.
I then link a project to the new repository.

All styles are changed as expected. Only one style behaves strangely.
Only the Body Text style is, every single time I try, set to the print view layout being the same as the screen view layout. (Same as Screen view is suddenly checked)
I then check the repository project. The Body Text style got the check "same as screen view".
I removed this check and adjusting the style again. Saving it. When I re-open it to check if the change still exists, it does. When I re-open the other project, again the Body Text print view style has changed to be the same as the screen view layout.
Repeating all this above with closing the H&M program in between gives the same result.

I tried this several times to make sure I do not make a mistake myself but it keeps repeating this and only with the Body Text style.
I even removed the space in the name of the style. This did not help either.

The Body Text Style for the screen view has a left indent of 1 cm.
The print view layout shall be 0 cm (zero).
The Body Text is based on the Normal style. The normal style has a different font for the print view.
The indent of the Normal style is zero on both views.

Hope you can make sense of this strange behaviour
Senior Test Engineer & Technical Writer
Flowbird group
julio

Re: Repository change does not change one single style

Unread post by julio »

Are you working exclusively on the repository? How is your Edit Styles window? As you can see on the next image, all styles with a red icon are not on the current project, but on the repository. If you are trying to change those styles on the project, that could be causing this behavior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

As Julio suggests, the first thing to do is check the display of the styles in your project with Edit Styles. My guess is that you have a local edit of the Body Text style there, which would then override the repository version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Styles issue.jpg
Hi,

I already verified that there was only the one style from the repository. Help is very clear on this.

When I change the style to a zero indent in print view and 1 cm indent in screen view and save it, the style comes back when I re-open the stylesheet with the Print view checked to be the same as the screen view.
It does not allow me to have a print view with a margin less than the one in the screen view.

I want this layout for my PDF files having a default margin of 2.5 cm defined in the PDF style sheet. I do not want an additional margin. So I want to set it to zero.
I want the screen to have a small margin to keep the text away from the WebHelp borders a bit more.

This is the structure in my repository
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flowbird group
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vincent,

Generally speaking, setting margins with styles in your project is not a good idea. The content in your project has no margins, because it is fluid content that needs to flow into different layouts for the different output formats. Emulating margins in the topic editor with paragraph indents can cause problems in some output formats, particularly HTML, and will generally interfere with the layout. Indents should only be used for individual paragraphs to move them in relative to other paragraphs.

This seems counter-intuitive at first if you are used to working in a word processor where the layout and the content formatting are all in the editor, but it is essential for a program like Help+Manual with multiple output formats.
I want this layout for my PDF files having a default margin of 2.5 cm
If you need a different margin for PDF the place to set it is in the PDF template. If you need different margins for different purposes in different PDF documents, make two copies of the template.

That all being said, I can't reproduce the behavior you describe with a style called "Body Text", set up as you describe. Please pack your repository folder in a zip and mail it to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it out for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VincentBevort

Hi Tim,

I may have expressed myself a bit unclear.

I do have a margin in the PDF and Word templates set to 2.5 cm on both sides.
In the current layout, I use an indent of 0 (zero) for the headers and an indent of 2 cm for the body text.
This works fine for the generated output.

Now I want the indent of the body also to be zero.
I need more space for my tables that use the body text to set them in line with the body.
As I want to use this in all my projects I set this in a copy of my existing repository.
When I use a local style it works as expected.

What bothers me is:
Why is the style changed when I try to use it from the repository :frustration:

P.S. I sent you a link to the files
Flowbird group