Problem with Topic Options tab

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Debra Graham

Problem with Topic Options tab

Unread post by Debra Graham »

Two of my topics have a red background for the <TITLE> tag field in the Topic Options tab. What causes this and how do I fix it? It doesn't seem to affect the build--no Compiler Messages.
But I am sure that the red signifies something is wrong.
Title tag.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Topic Options tab

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Debra,

This isn't a problem, just a warning that the length of the title tag text exceeds the recommended maximum for the title tag in web pages. There is no physical maximum, but the recommended length of title is somewhere between 65 to 70 characters including spaces, because more than this likely to be truncated in search results. So try to keep the title length to 65 characters including spaces for best possible rendering.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debra Graham

Unread post by Debra Graham »

Thanks for the quick reply. Will shorten the title. Where are the recommended maximums documented?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Debra Graham wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Will shorten the title. Where are the recommended maximums documented?
This has nothing to do with Help+Manual itself. It is a vaguely-defined HTML standard that most browsers adhere to, more or less. If you keep the length below 65 characters you should be fine.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.