Tips Icon

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Laurel Todd

Tips Icon

Unread post by Laurel Todd »

I am looking for a way to draw a user's attention to a tip or example. Is there something built in that I haven't seen? Maybe just an "idea" icon?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Tips Icon

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laurel,
I am looking for a way to draw a user's attention to a tip or example. Is there something built in that I haven't seen? Maybe just an "idea" icon?
Not directly built in. However, you look in the source of Help+Manual's own help in the Examples folder (..\Documents\My HelpAndManual Projects\Examples\HelpAndManual7) you can find quite a few icons you're welcome to use in the Graphics Buttons sub-folder. There's a green flag, a lightbulb, a star and a couple of others. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Laurel Todd

Tim I don't understand where that folder is. On my C: drive, under ProgramFiles\EC Software\HelpAndManual7, I only have the program a Dictionaries and a Templates folder. On my PC under c:\documents, I have a HelpAndManualProjects folder, but it only seems to have a couple dictionaries.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Laurel,

That means you disabled the option to install the sample files when you installed the program. Just run the installer again and make sure you check the option to install the sample files and projects., 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:That means you disabled the option to install the sample files when you installed the program. Just run the installer again and make sure you check the option to install the sample files and projects., 8)
Hi Tim,

That doesn't work for me. I just ran the installer again to check. I have the Graphics folders left over from HM6 days, but nothing from HM7 in Examples (everything there is dated 2015):

C:\Users\mw\Documents\My HelpAndManual Projects\Examples\HelpAndManual6\

If they are somewhere else, like Laurel I can't find them (Win10/64). :?

p.s. I also notice SPACES in \My HelpAndManual Projects\ !!! Why do you do that -- it will cause grief somewhere one day.

cheers,

Martin.
Simon_Dismore

Unread post by Simon_Dismore »

Martin Wynne wrote:If they are somewhere else, like Laurel I can't find them (Win10/64). :?
Maybe you are backing up your documents to OneDrive per Windows 10 default?

In my case, the examples live at: C:\Users\my_name\my_office365_onedrive\Documents\HelpAndManual Projects\Examples
Martin Wynne

Simon_Dismore wrote:Maybe you are backing up your documents to OneDrive
Hi Simon, Laurel,

Thanks, but no I'm not doing that. However I have now found the HM7 stuff at:

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\My HelpAndManual Projects\Examples\HelpAndManual7\Graphics Buttons\

So Laurel, try looking there. :)

p.s. I don't use any of those default Windows locations for anything, and never have. All my work on anything and everything is in my own locations, backed up to external drives and to my own server in Ohio (I'm in the UK).

cheers,

Martin.
Simon_Dismore

Martin Wynne wrote:I have now found the HM7 stuff at: C:\Users\Public\..
That's where I looked first and was rather surprised there was nothing there. I wonder how H&M decides which drive to install the examples in?

I've been using (business) OneDrive and various bits of the modern Office365 experience (Sharepoint and Teams) recently. They're not entirely straightforward, but I like the automatic versioning and complete independence from the office domain and indeed any individual PC. Those are really helpful for the way I'm working nowadays.
Martin Wynne

Simon_Dismore wrote:I wonder how H&M decides which drive to install the examples in?
Hi Simon,

The problem is that there is no such location on disk as: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\...

It is a Windows virtual folder, which is my objection to using them. There is a single \Documents\ folder, and individual files within it are marked as belonging to Simon, Martin, Public, etc.

It's very instructive to skip Windows Explorer, and look at your C: drive in some other OS such as Linux. That also means that you can see everything, by-passing all Windows passwords, user accounts, etc.

cheers,

Martin.
Simon_Dismore

Martin Wynne wrote:The problem is that there is no such location on disk as: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\... It is a Windows virtual folder
Yes, and I suppose that's how the H&M installer locates it.

If so, it might be useful if Tim/Alex could tell us where the different parts of an installation are put, e.g. what goes into
%USERPROFILE%\Documents
%PUBLIC%\Documents
%LOCALAPPDATA%\EC Software
etc
Laurel Todd

Thanks, Tim. I did the install again and it did put an Examples directory under my Documents folder.