Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) database organisation

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) database organisation

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

My company is starting to implement SOPs accross the board. They will be for general procedure and product specific procedure. There will most likely be thousands of them.

They will be submitted as Word files where I will convert them into H&M.

This will then be output as html and eWriter.

In people's experience, is it practical to create one ToC or multiple?

If multiple ToCs, how am I going to enable the user to search the entire 'database'?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) database organisation

Unread post by Tim Green »

If multiple ToCs, how am I going to enable the user to search the entire 'database'?
Your primary TOC (the first one, at the top) should always contain your entire project. Only secondary TOCs should be used for reduced data sets. You can make a full searchable version by publishing the full primary TOC, including any non-TOC topics, which is automatic in the primary TOC unless you explicitly exclude them with build options.

However, secondary TOCs will only include the topics in the TOC unless you explicitly also include the non-TOC topics with build options. Then you can only search in the topics that are included. There is no way to switch search between only TOC and TOC + non-TOC topics, even if they are there. The search index always includes all topics in the output.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Re: Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) database organisation

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

OK, that's great, just what I wanted to hear.

Cheers, Tim.