Can I have different font styles within a caption?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kristin Hayles

Can I have different font styles within a caption?

Unread post by Kristin Hayles »

If I am creating a caption for an image, is it possible to have italic and bold in the caption, or does it have to have the same style for the entire caption?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can I have different font styles within a caption?

Unread post by Tim Green »

It has all the same style and it doesn't have any paragraph attributes. It's just a text style and it's attached to the image on output.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I put the caption on a new line below the image.

You can still tie it to the image using paragraph styles. You can format the font to how you want then. :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Ga Bowen wrote:I put the caption on a new line below the image.
You can still tie it to the image using paragraph styles. You can format the font to how you want then. :)
Another way to do it is to put the image and the caption in a single-column table with one or two rows. Either a single cell for both the image and the caption or one cell for the image and the one below it for the caption.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kristin Hayles

Thank you! I think I will stop using caption style -- i've had formatting issues with it a couple times.
Kristin Hayles

Actually I am trying to create captions with tables and it is very difficult. The formatting seems buggy. Sometimes the cell width changes when I adjust properties and sometimes it doesn't. I applied a border around the outside, then took it off, but it won't go away. It is very thick and I can't adjust the pixels. Here is a screen capture of what it looks like and the properties window
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kristin Hayles

here is a property window. see how I don't have any border specified, yet there is a very thick border
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kristin Hayles

and also the second tab of the properties window
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Kristin,

I think you accidentally inserted a second table inside the first table. The outer table has the border, that's why you can't see it in the inner table's settings. You could fiddle around with the arrow keys to get the insertion point inside the first table, but the easiest way to solve this is to cut the image, delete both tables and then insert the image inside a fresh table.

Then place a paragraph below the table and format it with the style you want to use. Note that the image has the caption style attached to it, so any new paragraph you create with the insertion point just after the table will initially have that style and you'll need to apply a new one once you enter your text.
Regards,

Private support: