Best way to structure a project

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Christian Kessner

Best way to structure a project

Unread post by Christian Kessner »

This is more of a consulting question.
I need to create datasheets for our products. We have about 10 different products, each in 2 variants.
They are all of the same type, so they have the same categories, but of course different actual data, e.g. they all have a pinout, but the pinout is different for the different devices.
I want to do this as generic as possibe, so not 10 or 20 projects, but ideally only one project for all projects and all variants.
The actual technical data is in constant change, so it would be good if the source data was easily editable for our technicians and developers.

With your experience, do you have a good idea how to structure this in the best way?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Best way to structure a project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christian,

This depends on how different your versions are. I would definitely use Snippets for creating reusable blocks of code for your similar pages, and also for your standard topics that get reused in multiple places. Instead of having one massive project you could also have separate projects for each version and combine them together as project modules when necessary.

When using a single large project multiple TOCs can also be an option for creating your different output versions.

For more detailed recommendations we'd need to know how much material is the same and how much is different, and where the differences are going to be.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.