Topic file name as variabe

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Topic file name as variabe

Unread post by John Johann »

I have various language variants of a project in different stages of translation :-)

If a topic is not yet translated into the project language, I would like to use the default topic e.g. from the English project.

Rather than duplicate the English topic in the other language, I would like to include the English topics folder in the source path of the language variant and link to the English topic as a snippet.

Code: Select all

<para styleclass="Normal"><snippet src="file::NameOfFile.xml" inline="false"/></para>
The above does what I want, however, I would like to automate the "NameOfFile" to be the name of the current topic. What syntax do I need?
I would just copy the line into the XML where needed -- or if it was all in a variable insert the variable.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Topic file name as variabe

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

Sorry, but you can't use variables in the XML like that. They can only be used in the actual text of your topics. Even if you enter the variable format in that location it won't work because variables are not resolved there. It would only cause an XML error and would be deleted from the XML source silently as soon as you switch back to the topic editor. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.