Publishing to PDF with Wingdings

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Publishing to PDF with Wingdings

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I have an Acrobat script which converts all instances of a Wingdings box to a clickable checkbox.

This works exporting to pdf from Word and printing a topic to pdf from H+M.

However, publishing from H+M somehow renders the Wingdings characters invisible to the script.

I have tried all combinations of Font Embedding including adding Wingdings to the Excluded List.

What I find extra odd is that if I edit the pdf, copy the Wingdings character and paste it over itself, the script will find and convert.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Publishing to PDF with Wingdings

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ga,

Windows-only fonts like Wingdings are converted to more neutral symbol fonts for HTML export because non-MS browsers ignore them otherwise. I'm not entirely sure at the moment, but it's possible this also applies to PDF. I'm checking on this. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Symbol fonts like Wingdings and Symbol are exported to PDF as graphics by default.

You can change this option in Configuration > Publishing Options > Adobe PDF > Font Embedding.
Deactivate the option "Export Symbol Fonts as Glyphs" and export the PDF again.

To test your PDF, open it with Adobe Viewer and click "File > Properties". In the properties dialog is a page that lists all embedded fonts of this PDF file. Wingdings should occur in this list as "Wingdings". If that's the case, your script should pick up the checkboxes properly.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Ga Bowen

Thanks for your replies, but it still doesn't work.

When I open it with Adobe Viewer and click File > Properties > Fonts, Wingdings is in the list of all embedded fonts in the PDF file, but the script does not pick up the checkboxes.

As I say, if you select the symbol, copy it and paste it over itself, the script works fine. :?

That saying, when I do this operation Wingdings-Regular is added as a non-embedded font to the Fonts Used in this Document

I have emailed the script dev as well.
Ga Bowen

SOLVED!

I was using a square instead of a checkbox apparently. Still doesn't explain how the workaround worked, but work it does.

Thanks for your help.