Running on docker/linux

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

bonsmaik

Running on docker/linux

Unread post by bonsmaik »

Hello!

We are evaluating the help and manual product. We would like to add publish step to our continuos deployment pipeline. Our pipeline is run by jenkins on a linux machine. We have tried to run Helpman.exe with https://www.winehq.org/ and it seems to be working. So the next step would be running the helpman.exe inside of the docker container (https://hub.docker.com/r/scottyhardy/docker-wine/). When I try to run HELPMAN.EXE inside docker file

Code: Select all

RUN wine bin/HELPMAN.EXE myManual.hmxp /HTML="."
I get error message "Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded." I guess that application is run for the first time it tries to ask license information?

If we would have a server license would this kind of run configuration be possible? Or any other suggestions to make this work? One possibility to make this work is to run jenkins job in windows agent but then our (linux/mac using) developers cannot test publishing on their own machine.

Cheers
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Running on docker/linux

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bonsai,

We haven't actually tested under Docker as this has never come up yet. There are definitely problems under WINE, however, because HM does require a fully qualified Windows environment. I'm asking our devs to look into it and will get back to you on this.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update, statement from our developer:
We use a very wide range of Windows API functions in a broad spectrum of different areas. It would be astonishing if Help+Manual was able to run at all in a Docker under WINE and Linux. You're welcome to try, but we can't provide any support for this at all.
TLDR: It won't work. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

By the way: The specific error you're getting in batch mode is because the program is opening a hidden window for console mode. If your WINE environment doesn't provide the API for that you will get a failure state/error. However, it is unlikely that that would remain the only error. :?
Regards,

Private support: