Custom fonts in webhelp

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Custom fonts in webhelp

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi,

I could have sworn I saw something on this but seems I'm getting old.

I want to standardize on our CI font which is Open Sans. How do I include this in non-PDF output?

Sorry, if I miss the obvious :-(,

/gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Custom fonts in webhelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

If you're using a Premium Pack skins you can use the integrated support for Google Web Fonts. How to do it is explained here in the documentation:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... fonts.html

Note that in addition to ad blockers, the security settings in many companies also block web fonts.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Thanks Tim,

is there a way to include the fonts with the deployment of the helpfiles and therefore be independet of internet access, blockers, etc.

Thanks,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Gerold Krommer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 pmis there a way to include the fonts with the deployment of the helpfiles and therefore be independet of internet access, blockers, etc.
Good idea in principle, but unfortunately it doesn't work. This is something I looked into extensively when working on web font support. First of all, if you're including the fonts yourself they are still being downloaded to the user, so all the restrictions apply just as much as if they were being downloaded from another site, like Google or Adobe. Also, the way all the blockers and browser security settings work is very simple: Any font referenced with the @font-face keyword in your CSS is blocked and not downloaded. They don't care where the fonts are, if they see that keyword they block them -- and you can't use web fonts without that reference. :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.