Expand/Collapse link on all pages

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

jetthaus

Expand/Collapse link on all pages

Unread post by jetthaus »

H+M Pro 7.5.3 Build 4740
PP Toolbox 3.47
Publish to WebHelp

Hello,

I am trying to add the Expand/Collapse link to the top of every topic page.

I added the code in the WebHelp skin's default HTML template, above the <%TOPIC_TEXT%> variable:
HMToggleExpandAll.PNG

The Expand/Collapse link appears at the top of the default topic page:
Link-on-page.PNG

The link is throwing an error on the page:
HMToggleExpandALL-ERROR.PNG

Also, the Expand/Collapse link only appears on the default topic page. When I navigate to another topic and then return to the default topic, the Expand/Collapse link no longer appears.

What have I missed?

Thank you,
Jett Hausmann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Expand/Collapse link on all pages

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jett,

There are two problems here: First, you're using a V3 skin from the Premium Pack, which uses a different command. The second one is, you can't put something like this on every page in these dynamic skins by adding it to the template. It will appear on the first page that the user visits, but it will disappear as soon as they navigate to another page in the help. This is because there are no page loads when navigating in this layout. Instead, only the content in the topic area is dynamically replaced, using a compressed copy of the next page's content in a JSON file. Since the entire content container must be replaced when this is done, your link from above the topic text variable is also deleted.

FYI, you can find the commands for controlling toggles in V3 here in the documentation:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... ggles.html

However, all of this is actually redundant in these skins. If you look in the More menu in the published skin there is a Show Expanding Text option, which opens and closes all the toggles (the text switches to "Hide..." when they are open). 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
jetthaus

Re: Expand/Collapse link on all pages

Unread post by jetthaus »

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the info on the options for the V3 skin.

I am aware of the Show Expanding Text menu option. The person (making the decisions) who wanted me to have the expanding toggle content set to 'all expanded' by default, also felt that the Show/Hide option was buried in the nav menu. Essentially, I am exploring all expand/collapse options to reach a happy medium.

Kind regards,
Jett