Trouble viewing Webhelp in Chrome browser

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swede

Trouble viewing Webhelp in Chrome browser

Unread post by Swede »

When I publish a H+M project in Webhelp (HTML) format, Chrome has no problem displaying it when it opens automatically the first time. However, if I try opening it again by clicking on the index file, I get the following error message in Chrome:
Anteckning 2020-02-07 101524.png
At the end of the message it says "Google Chrome will display the help correctly when the help is stored on a web server". Is there a way around this or will our clients have to set up web servers to access the help files?

PS. I get the same message when I try to open the helpfile in Edge, and it won't open at all in Firefox.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Trouble viewing Webhelp in Chrome browser

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Swede,

This is normal. WebHelp is for the Web and requires a web server to work correctly. If you need local documentation you shouldn't be using WebHelp. On Windows use eWriter, which combines the benefits of WebHelp and CHM and eliminates the disadvantages of both for local documentation. For other platforms you can use the Premium Pack V3 skins, which have a special option that enables browsers to use them locally without these restrictions. However, that is a second-best option.

You lose all the benefits of WebHelp when you use it locally like that. You can no longer update your documentation on a daily basis without having to redistribute anything, your help lives on the user's computer as an open folder full of hundreds of files and you will normally have browser problems with all but the simplest pages. eWriter eliminates all these issues.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Re: Trouble viewing Webhelp in Chrome browser

Unread post by Swede »

Thanks, I'll check out eWriter!